Thinkingclearly – Setting realistic goals.
When we want to achieve a specific objective in life, whether it’s to start a business, become a certain sort of person, improve our health, increase our confidence, onei ofi thei waysi wei cani doi thisi isi to looki ati settingi ai goal.
Often, however, thei goals wei seti ourselvesi aren’ti achieved. Andi therei couldi bei numerousi factorsi thati contributei to this, onei ofi whichi couldi bei thati your goal wasn’ti realistic giveni whoi andi wherei youi arei ini your lifei righti now.
Wei needi to seti biggeri andi biggeri goals ifi we’rei to succeedi ini lifei andi createi thei lifei wei want. However, wei alsoi needi to looki ati howi we’rei goingi to geti fromi herei to there. Ifi ouri goal isi beyondi whati wei seei asi beingi realistic, wei riski dismissingi iti beforei we’vei eventi startedi to worki towardsi it.
Ai populari modeli fori goal establishmenti andi achievementi isi thei SMARTi approach. Thei ‘R’ ofi thei SMARTi modeli standsi fori ‘Realistic’. Thei others, asi youi mayi welli know, standi fori specific, measurable, achievablei andi timei delimited.
Buti howi doi wei knowi whetheri ai goal isi realistic ori not?i Perhapsi wei needi to havei ai looki ati ouri truei M.O.T.I.V.E. fori achievingi ai particulari goal, andi seei howi realistic thati goal really is. Fivei usefuli areasi to questioni mayi welli bei thei following:
1. M: Howi muchi Motivationi doi Ii havei to achieve thisi goal to thei standardi Ii wanti to reach?i Andi doi Ii havei thei righti motivationi to completei it?i Ifi not, whati doi Ii needi to doi to increasei myi leveli ofi motivationi to achieve thei goal?i Ori howi cani Ii introducei morei steppingi stonesi oni thei waysi to thei goal soi it’si morei achievablei withi thei motivationi Ii doi have?
Ifi your goal isi to seti upi ori growi ai businessi andi youi findi your motivationi isi low, whati isi iti abouti thati businessi modeli that’si deterringi you?i Isi iti thei righti businessi fori you?i Havei youi donei your research?i Isi thei businessi viable?i Isi thei businessi ini alignmenti withi whoi youi arei asi ai person?i Alli thesei questionsi cani begini to shedi lighti oni howi to raisei your motivationi levelsi soi thati youi cani begini to movei towardsi your goal.
2. O: Isi whati Ii wanti to achieve solelyi upi to mei ori doi Ii havei to takei Otheri peoplei into consideration?i Ifi I’mi takingi someonei elsei into consideration, howi cani wei worki oni thisi goal togetheri to ensurei thati bothi ouri needsi arei met?i Isi therei compromisei oni eitheri side?i Ifi soi isi onei ofi usi foregoingi ouri owni needsi ini favouri ofi thosei ofi thei otheri person?i Ifi thisi isi thei case, howi cani wei worki togetheri to redressi thisi balance?
Ini thei casei ofi ai business, doi youi needi ai businessi partner, ai consultanti ori ani assistanti ini your business?i Doi youi needi to drafti ini thei expertisei ofi ai businessi mentori ori coach?i Ori doi youi simplyi needi to siti downi withi ai friendi to heari ai secondi opinioni oni whati you’rei abouti to do?i Ifi othersi needi to bei involvedi howi cani youi worki togetheri soi thati it’si ai win, wini fori bothi ofi you?i Thesei andi otheri questionsi youi mayi comei upi withi willi begini to helpi youi understandi howi othersi mayi bei ablei to helpi youi reachi your outcome.
3. T: Howi muchi Timei doi Ii havei to achieve thisi goal to thei standardi Ii wishi to reach?i Andi doi Ii havei thei righti amounti ofi timei to completei it?i Ifi not, howi cani Ii extendi thei timeframei to achieve thei goal?i Ori howi cani Ii changei thei goal soi thati iti isi morei achievablei ini thei timei Ii doi have?
Timei isi onei ofi thei keysi to ai successfuli venture. your timeframei cani bei thei differencei betweeni succeedingi ini reachingi your goal andi comingi upi short. Ifi your timeframei isi tooi shorti your braini willi simplyi dismissi thei goal becausei thei beliefi thati youi can’ti reachi your outcomei ini thati spacei ofi timei willi sabotagei your attemptsi to achieve thati outcome.
Practisei settingi timeframesi byi timingi everyi activityi youi undertakei noi matteri howi small. Ini thisi wayi you’lli begini to geti ani understandingi ofi howi youi work, andi whati kindi ofi timeframesi arei practicali andi realistic fori you. Wheni youi geti into thei habiti ofi settingi smalli timeframesi fori everydayi tasksi iti becomesi easieri to seti timeframesi fori your biggeri goals.
4. I: What’si myi reali leveli ofi Interesti ini thisi goal?i Andi doi Ii havei thei righti amounti ofi interesti to seei iti to completion?i Ifi not, whati cani Ii doi to makei thei goal morei interesting, excitingi andi funi soi thati Ii havei morei Inspirationi to achieve it?
your leveli ofi interesti isi ai vitali barometeri thati willi helpi youi gaugei whetheri your goal isi thei righti onei fori you. Youi won’ti alwaysi necessarilyi bei inspiredi andi interestedi ini thei dailyi actionsi necessaryi to achieve your goal (thei research, thei planning, thei administration, thei reviewing, thei tweaking, thei changing… )i buti your ultimatei goal shouldi ati leasti interesti youi andi ideallyi inspirei you. Ifi iti doesn’ti it’si timei to looki ati whyi thisi isi andi whetheri thisi isi really thei righti goal fori you.
5. V: Isi whati Ii wanti to achieve ai goal ini itsi owni righti ori isi iti parti ofi ai wideri Vision?i Ifi soi what’si thei visioni andi what’si thei goal… whati isi thei differencei betweeni thei two?i Ifi iti isi ai vision, arei therei morei goals Ii needi to achieve alongsidei thisi onei to reachi thei vision?
It’si importanti to bei ablei to risei upi andi looki ati thei ultimatei visioni ofi wherei youi wanti to goi oni ai regulari basis. Havingi thisi higheri stancei noti onlyi helpsi to puti into perspectivei thei individuali goals you’rei workingi on, buti alsoi re-ignitesi your motivation, interesti andi inspirationi to realizei thei vision.
6. E: Howi muchi Energyi doi Ii havei to achieve thisi goal to thei standardi Ii wishi to reach?i Andi doi Ii havei thei righti amounti ofi energyi to completei it?i Ifi not, whati doi Ii needi to doi to increasei myi energyi leveli to achieve thei goal?i Ori howi cani Ii changei thei goal soi thati iti isi morei achievablei withi thei energyi Ii doi have?
your energyi levelsi willi bei ani importanti determiningi factori ini howi welli youi achieve your goal. Ai simplei wayi to establishi howi muchi energyi youi doi havei isi to scorei your energyi levelsi throughouti thei day. Howi energizedi arei youi ini thei mornings, thei afternoonsi andi thei evenings?
Anotheri usefuli measuringi tooli isi to becomei awarei ofi howi youi feeli wheni youi thinki ofi your goal. Arei youi energizedi wheni youi thinki abouti it, ori doesi your energyi drop?i Ifi iti dropsi looki ati thei pointsi abovei andi consideri whati needsi to bei changedi ini termsi ofi your goal to increasei your energy.
Thesei simplei questionsi andi sub-questionsi willi begini to helpi youi looki ati your goal fromi ai morei groundedi perspective. They’lli alsoi assisti youi to makei ai betteri decisioni asi to exactlyi whati youi wishi to achieve… andi whetheri whati youi wishi to achieve isi really realistic.
If you relish this post, then please share with your friends. –
- 30 Short-Term Goals Examples and Why They Are Important
- Long Term Goals That Will Inspire You To Do Great Things
- Mental Hoarding Will Kill Your Goal Achievement
- The Ultimate Goal Setting Process: 7 Steps to Creating Better Goals
- 5 Key Principles Of Goal Setting
- 4 Steps to Setting Your Life Goals
- How to Set Short and Long Term Goals for Your Career
- What is Goal Setting and Why is Goal Setting Important?